Friday, July 24, 2009

Changes.

As my time in France is slowly coming to an end, I have begun to think about how this journey has changed me. While some changes I expected, others I would never have even considered. Also, I have not made a lot of changes that I thought I would. I don't feel as though I've matured, or gotten older. I don't feel like my French has really improved too drastically, although, I'm sure it has a lot more than what I think. And, while before I thought I would want to move to France immediately, I'm still content with staying in America.

I have changed in these ways though, most of them having to do with food:

1.) I can successfully eat a full meal with my left hand. In France, it's rude to change hands if you are cutting something, so if you have a knife in your right hand, you are suppose to eat with your left hand. At the beginning, this was very very difficult. I would get so frustrated and sometimes end up just eating with my hands instead. Haha. Now, I've learned the ways. I've studied my family, and my professors while they ate. Prefecting the art of eating. Haha. It really is a lot more difficult than it seems. So, I'm sorry if I look funny while eating when I come home, it's normal here.

2.) I love eating fruit. In the U.S. it would take a good piece of fruit already cut up and ready for me to eat for me to really enjoy it. Here, I go to the supermarket all the time, and then as soon as I leave, start eating my fruit. Without cutting it up, and most of the time without washing it. It's just so delicious. I think that I will come back craving fruit on a fairly regular basis.

3.) I look forward to dinners that involve cucumbers or tomatoes. If I had been given a meal in the U.S. like that I probably would just have walked away. I guess I really just needed a push to try these things. In fact, today at lunch, I ate a handful of cherry tomatoes without giving it a second thought. And they were delicious.

4.) My instincts have started being in French. When I bump into someone I instantly say pardon, or excusez-moi, rather than sorry. I never thought I would do that. It's hard to break old habits, but I have apparently.

5.) I wash a lot of clothes in the sink. At home, doing this would be crazy. But I'm actually okay with it. It only takes a few minutes and then they're ready to wear the next day.

6.) Sleeping without air conditioner to keep me cool was a big change that I had to make. At the beginning, it was difficult, and I would wake up in the night sweating and uncomfortable. Now, more times than not, I sleep through the night even though I'm sweating. I've actually forgotten what it's like to have air conditioner. Use to, I would walk into a building, expecting the coolness to come over me. Now, I walk into a building already anticipating the higher temperatures of being indoors.

I think thats all the really major changes. And that's all I have for you.

Kristina



p.s. I miss my boyfriend more than anything in the world. But I get to come home to him in 7 days.

No comments: