Saturday, June 18, 2011

10 Things You Should Know About Cracker Barrel

Most of these things probably apply to all restaurants but I wouldn't know cause I just work at Cracker Barrel. Just some food for thought. It also is coming from frustration from people being so rude. And it's also from a server's point of view. 

1. Probably 75% of people know exactly what they want to eat the second they walk in the door. So when your server asks you if you are ready to order, and you rudely reply with I just sat down, then you are actually in the minority. So you're rudeness is not appropriate. We're just doing our job. 

2. We pretty much have to lie to you. If you ask us if something is good, we're not going to say no. Try asking us  which we like better between two dishes. That would definitely get you a more honest answer. 

3. I realize that this is really annoying because I hate it when people do this to me at restaurants, but we have to tell you about our promotional meals. We actually are expected to sell a certain amount. In fact, right now, I didn't sell my expected amount so my name, along with all the other failures, is displayed on a wall in the back of Cracker Barrel.

4. Servers make 2.15 an hour. Now, since I've worked at Cracker Barrel so long, I have received a significant raise. Four years of Cracker Barrel and I'm up to 2.33. 2.33 is where it will stay for the rest of my time at Cracker Barrel. They don't pay servers more than that, ever. Since all of that 2.33 ends up paying taxes, my check from Cracker Barrel is rarely more than 10 dollars. That means tips are my paycheck. 

5. During a shift, each server is assigned to a certain number of tables. It's typically 3 or 4 tables. During a lunch or dinner rush, we can typically turn those tables every 45 minutes. Sometimes quicker than that. When someone decides to sit at one table reading, or having a business meeting for 3 hours, that one table is taking up what could potentially be 4 different tables. So, doing this and then tipping a dollar really really really sucks. 

6. When you ask your server for a new fork for the fourth time since you've been eating, they are going to look at you funny. Where can the forks possibly be going?

7. If a server that isn't your server brings your food to your table, that doesn't mean your server isn't doing their job. They are probably currently taking someone else's food. We have to stop what we're doing and run food when food becomes ready, regardless of whose food it is. 

8. Shaking your glass at your server will NEVER get you a refill any faster. 

9. When you say half and half, I always assume that means half sweetened tea and half unsweetened tea. The name of the drink that you are actually requesting is called an Arnold Palmer. Half tea, half lemonade. 

10. Servers truly don't mind you telling them if something is wrong with your food. We would much rather correct it for you and you be a little more happy then you thinking that we suck for the rest of the night. And if you need something, we truly don't care if you ask. That's our job. Just be nice about it. =)

-Kristina

No comments: