Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day Of School

I'll be posting pictures of my classroom before too long but first I want to talk about my first day.

I can't even believe how fast it went. It was 7th hour before I knew it.

I survived, obviously. The worst of it all was the heels I made the stupid decision to wear haha. I'm thoroughly impressed with how awesome my students were. For example, because I have the same kids twice in a day, math in the morning and science in the afternoon, I didn't want to have to introduce myself to them twice. So I decided to do something a little different. In math, I did a powerpoint that had lots of facts about me, then in science we played a game of charades. The students had to act out things they learned about me from my powerpoint. One of the words was France. Had I been a sixth grader, I would've had no idea where to even begin, but my smart little sixth grader didn't even hesitate. He immediately began acting like a mime, the students instantly knew he was miming, and then quickly made the connection to Paris and then France. They are awesome!

While I know that the first day is probably the easiest when it comes to discipline I had very few problems. There was quite a bit of talking at times but I understand, it's rough hearing the rules and syllabus for 7 classes in a row. I'll keep them busier in the future.

One of my science classes is an inclusion class. This means that almost half of the students are on some kind of science class and are in a special education class. Because there are so many in one hour I was given a paraprofessional to help with them. At the beginning of the hour, it didn't bother me at all having him in there, then he told me that he taught 7th grade science for 20 years. Awesome.... I was nervous then haha. I really don't have a lot of experience teaching science so that should be interesting. Either he could think I'm awful, or he could be a huge help....we will see.

I was also surprised at how well these 6th graders were following the dress code. Apparently that isn't a huge issue yet.....I'll wait till the end of the year haha.

Okay. That's all I got for now. I'm so excited for the rest of the year!

-Kristina

No comments: